Beijing Normal University School of Future Design
Postgraduate Program Q&A
Q: When is the admission brochure for postgraduate program entrance released every year? How can I find it?
A: In September, the admission brochure, major catalog and examination subjects will be released by Beijing Normal University School of Future Design. Students can go to BNU admission website: https://yz.bnu.edu.cn for information.
Q: What postgraduate programs are offered in the School?
A: Three programs are offered: Service Design (Research on Design and Future Production&Lifestyles), Digital Media Art (Research on Art and Technology) and Design Education (Research on Design and Education).
Q: How about the faculty and postgraduate supervisor?
A: The current faculty team contains world renowned scholars and professors, including (in alphabetical order) Tony Brown, Gao Peng, Gong Jiawei, Li Qi, Miriam Mirolla, Tan Ping, Wang Min and Ye Jintian who will come to the School to teach in person, and supervise graduate students within their assigned quota each year.
Q: Do students need to determine their major, research direction and supervisor when they fill in the application?
A: The School of Future Design provides a master’s degree in Art and Design (135108), which includes three research directions: Service Design, Digital Media Art and Design Education. When applying for the program, we adopt a “broad-caliber” admission, regardless of the direction of the application. After the first year of basic courses and study of each professional direction, the second semester or so after two-way selection with the supervisor to confirm the specific research direction.
Q: What is the tuition fee for postgraduate programs?
A: The tuition fee for full-time postgraduate programs of the School of Future Design is RMB 55,000 yuan, which is paid in three years.
Q: What are the scholarship policies for graduate students?
A: The School actively carries out several cooperation, and provides various scholarships, including freshman scholarship, academic scholarship, study grant, special scholarship programs, etc. In accordance with the relevant national policies, there are also national student grants and student support green channel to ensure the successful enrollment of every student. The School attaches importance to overseas exchange and learning opportunities, and successively provides various programs for the students to visit and study at overseas partner institutions.
Q: What is the application and admission process?
A: The School publishes the enrollment plan in September each year, and the candidates who meet the relevant conditions of the enrollment plan can submit the online application in the system of “Chinese Graduate Admissions Information Network” in October of that year, and confirm online or on-site within the specified time. Candidates who pass the examination will take the “National Unified Admission Examination for Master’s Degree” in December of the same year, and those who pass the preliminary examination will take the university reexamination in March of the following year. The final admission list will be determined based on the candidates’ performance in the preliminary examination and the reexamination, combined with the application materials and ideological and political performance and other factors. After the admission is confirmed, a letter of acceptance will be sent to the candidate in July.
Postgraduate programs application process：
Q: What are the application requirements?
A: Registration for the national postgraduate entrance examination must meet the following requirements:
1. Citizens of the People's Republic of China.
2. Support the leadership of the Communist Party of China, good moral character, compliance with the law.
3. Physical health in line with the national and the university physical examination requirements.
4. Candidates’ academic level must meet one of the following conditions.
(1) Undergraduates from national recognized programs of the year (including ordinary colleges and universities, adult colleges and universities, and adult higher education held by ordinary colleges and universities) as well as undergraduates who graduate from self-study examinations and online education. Candidates must obtain a nationally recognized undergraduate diploma or a Certificate of Foreign Academic Degrees issued by the China Ministry of Education Overseas Study Service Center before the year of admission. Otherwise, the admission is invalid.
(2) Those who have obtained a national recognized bachelor's degree.
(3) Those who have completed 2 years (from graduation to the admission year) or more after obtaining the nationally recognized senior high school diploma, as well as those who have completed the bachelor's degree with nationally recognized education, must also meet the following three conditions, and can apply for the examination as the equivalent of bachelor's degree.
The conditions are (a) completed all the required courses in the relevant undergraduate program; (b) published two (or more) papers in academic journals in the field of application as the first author; (c) apply for the programs of the same or similar disciplines.
(4) Those who have received a master's degree or doctoral degree.
(5) The degree certificates obtained outside China must be certified by the China Ministry of Education Overseas Study Service Center, and the certification report must be submitted during the qualification examination.
For details, please refer to Beijing Normal University Graduate Admissions Brochure.
Q: How do students choose their test site?
A: According to the relevant requirements of the Ministry of Education,
(1) Fresh undergraduate candidates should, in principle, choose the test site designated by the provincial education entrance examination authority where the school is located.
(2) Non-fresh undergraduate candidates should choose a test site designated by the provincial education entrance examination authority where they work or reside.
Note: Candidates who wish to choose an out-of-town test site must meet the requirements of the provincial admissions and testing agency where they are enrolled and complete the confirmation procedures before they can take the preliminary exam. If you have any questions, please consult with the provincial enrollment and examination institution where the application site or test site is located.
Q: What exams do students need to take to apply for the Master of Fine Arts?
A: Candidates who apply for Master of Fine Arts need to pass the preliminary examination and the reexamination.
The preliminary examination is required to take the national unified examination for graduate students, including ideology and politics, and foreign language for the national unified questions, two specialized subjects that are administered by the university. Please refer to the latest syllabus in the admissions brochure for specific subjects. Candidates who reach the university’s reexamination score line are eligible for the university reexamination. The reexamination includes an interview and a professional examination to further test the students’ professional foundation, comprehensive analysis ability, and ability to solve practical problems. The reexamination is scheduled for mid to late March 2023, and the specific time will be announced on our graduate admissions website.
The admission list will be determined based on the candidates' scores in the preliminary examination and reexamination, combined with application materials, ideological and political performance, and other factors.
Q: What subjects are included in the preliminary exam?
A: The subjects of the preliminary examination include the national general examination and the specialized subjects. The national subjects include: ①101 ideological and political theory, ②202 Russian or 203 Japanese or 204 English (II), with 100 points each; the professional subjects include: ③721 art principles, ④837 art design planning and creativity, with 150 points each. These two professional subjects do not include on-site drawing and painting content. Please refer to the latest syllabus in the school’s admissions brochure for specific requirements.
Q: What is the time of the retest? What is the acceptance ratio for the interview? What is the examination content of the reexamination?
A: The reexamination of the School of Future Design is scheduled in mid or late March 2023, with the specific time announced on our graduate admissions website. The reexamination pass rate will be in the ratio of no more than 1:1.5. The reexamination will include an interview and a professional examination, which will further test the students’ professional foundation, comprehensive analysis ability and ability to solve practical problems. Specific arrangements will be announced on the Beijing Normal University Graduate Admissions Website (https://yz.bnu.edu.cn) and the official website of the School of Future Design (https://design.bnu.edu.cn), please check them in time.
Q: Are off-campus transfers accepted?
A: Off-campus transfers are not accepted. If there is a transfer quota, transfer candidates must meet the following conditions.
1. The first choice in the application form shall be Beijing Normal University.
2. The transfer major is the same as or similar to the first choice, and should be within the same discipline. The subjects of the preliminary examination are the same as or similar to the subjects of the preliminary examination of the transfer major, of which the subjects of the national unified examination shall be the same as those of the transfer major.
3. The preliminary examination results must meet the basic requirements of the national preliminary examination results of the first voluntary application specialty A class line and the basic score line of our university’s retest.
Q: When will the admission letters be issued?
A: The university generally sends the admission notice to candidates in July each year. Candidates must fill in the accurate detailed address information during the postgraduate registration in order to receive the admission notice in time. Please pay attention to the specific time of admission letter pickup on the Beijing Normal University Graduate Admissions Website (https://yz.bnu.edu.cn).
Q: Are there any internship opportunities for students while they are studying? What are the employment prospects?
A: The School of Future Design adopts the PBL teaching model. Students can submit applications to enter the lab in the second year of postgraduate study according to the information published on the School's website, and submit materials to apply for internship opportunities after the second year of postgraduate study according to the information published on the School’s website.
At present, the School has reached an agreement with Lenovo, Haier Innovation Design Center and Li Ning to jointly establish the Future Design Lab; reached a strategic partnership with TEAM CHINA to jointly establish the TEAM CHINA South China R&D Center; reached a PBL enterprise mentorship partnership with China Academy of Building Research, Chinese Culture Promotion Association, French K Three, Spanosa Design Ltd, Italian Domus Magazine (international Chinese version), and C-future lab of Zhongzhou. The Sollege will regularly announce the internship program, students can intern in the above organizations, and those who perform well will have the opportunity to join directly after graduation.
Q: Is there any summer programs?
A: Every year, the school will organize summer programs for students with excellent performance. Through these programs, students can promote academic exchange experience, strengthen their understanding of the discipline or research of SFD, experience the good learning environment and academic atmosphere of Beijing Normal University at Zhuhai, promote mutual understanding between students and the School and then to identify outstanding students with design research and practice potential. For more details, please refer to the school website.
Q: What should I do if I still have further questions?
A: You can consult the Postgraduate Program Department of the School of Future Design by phone (0756-3683976 Mr. Liang) or send an email to the mailbox email@example.com.
For detailed questions about applying for the 2023 Beijing Normal University School of Future Design Master of Fine Arts in Art and Design, please click on the Application Guide.
Frequently asked questions
Q: Conditions for exemption of the first foreign language
1. Those who have scored 75 or above in the National Unified Examination for Graduate Students (English I) or 85 or above in English II.
2. Those who have scored 600 or above in the College English Test-6 (valid for two years).
3. IELTS 6.5 or above (valid for two years)
4. TOEFL of 96 or above (valid for two years).
5. GRE verbal score of 156 or above, with writing score of 4 or above (valid for five years).
6. Passing the Test for English Majors-Band 8.
7. Have received a degree in an English-speaking country (certified by the Ministry of Education).
8. Have studied in an English-speaking country for formal courses for more than one year in the last five years (as determined by the Department of Public Foreign Languages of BNU School of Foreign Languages and Literature).
9. Duolingo English Test 110 or above (valid for two years)
(II) Other foreign languages
1.Those who have scored 75 or above in the Graduate Entrance Examination (National Unified Examination).
2. Bachelar’s or master’s degree in the corresponding foreign language major, currently pursuing a higher degree in another field.
3. Have received a degree in the corresponding foreign language country (certified by the Ministry of Education).
4. Have studied formal courses in the corresponding foreign language country for more than one year in the last five years (as determined by the Department of Public Foreign Languages of BNU School of Foreign Languages and Literature).
5. Pass the International Japanese Language Proficiency Test Level 1 or pass the Japanese Language Proficiency Test Level 8 in higher education institutions.
6. A national level certificate in that language (as determined by the Department of Public Foreign Languages of BNU School of Foreign Languages and Literature).
Q: Questions about the portfolios of the students with other discipline backgrounds
A: The portfolio is a student-driven work creation. Students can take the advantage of their professional backgrounds in the portfolio preparation. The portfolio includes, but is not limited to, creative works, design proposals, planning proposals, educational proposals, digital media art scripts or other forms of creative art.
Q: Is there any change in the syllabus of the two professional courses examined?
A: The 2023 syllabus has been published on the university's website, and students can visit the Beijing Normal University Graduate Admissions Website (https://yz.bnu.edu.cn) for more information.
Q: Is there a minimum score limit for the English test in the reexamination?
A: Beijing Normal University is one of the self-scheduled universities approved by the Ministry of Education. Candidates who review the basic score line of the school’s reexamination and the professional review line are qualified for the reexamination and will not be notified. We provide the reference of the 2022 master’s degree retest score line of the School of Future Design: 54 points for Politics, 54 points for English, 90 points for Professional Course I and 90 points for Professional Course II.
Q: Will the reexamination be online or offline this year?
A: The specific format of the review session needs to take into account the situation of epidemic prevention and control during the reexamination period and the work requirements of the university. The specific notice will be released by the Beijing Normal University research website before the review.
Q: Is there any chance of expansion of full-time enrollment?
A: According to the development and construction of the university, the specific expansion policy and quota plan will be determined in the admission stage of the year, and the School will actively strive for it.
Q: Is there recommended any reference book for Subject 837?
A: Our School always insists on cultivating complex and innovative talents with precise professionalism, professional frontier vision, comprehensive analysis ability and scientific and humanistic concepts. The purpose of the examination for the subject of Professional Course II is to hope that students can combine their study and professional background, growth and social experience, and express open thoughts and ideas for art and design planning and creativity.
Therefore, it is not required to give fixed answers to the contents of the books, nor is it expected to draw too much from and apply test-taking format templates, etc.
Q: Can you introduce the academic master’s and doctoral programs plan of the School of Future Design? When will the School apply for academic master’s and doctoral programs?
A: Since the School of Future Design was established, it has always positioned to serve the national talent development strategy, and to carry out the important instructions of General Secretary Xi Jinping about the construction and adjustment of majors and disciplines, and to promote the reform and development of graduate education in the new era. At present, combined with the notice of the Catalogue of Subjects and Specialties in Graduate Education (2022) and the actual situation of the School, we have started the declaration of disciplines in the new version of the catalog.
Q: What is the approximate allocation of time for internship and study in the three years of graduate school?
A: The website of the School of Future Design is in the process of updating and will soon publish information about the syllabus, course schedule and other main information of the course regarding teaching and learning.